Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Favorite Chocolate Cake

Oh how I LOVE this cake!  I think I ate this cake every night for a year or so until I started to feel full in the morning.  I try to refrain during the week which sometimes puts me in a bad mood, but when the weekend nights come, you can find me sitting on my couch with my chocolate cake, ice cream and tall glass of milk (with ice in it of course.) 

Preston and Stella like to stir their ice cream and cake together.  When I was little and my family would go to my Grandma Dixie's for Sunday dinner, I would do the exact same thing.  But now I think that one piece of cake stacked on top of another with a scoop (a large scoop) of vanilla ice cream is the most delicious way to eat it!
 

Chocolate Sheet Cake

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
½ cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar, flour, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.

Melt butter in sauce pan and add cocoa powder, stir to combine.  Add 1 cup boiling water to butter chocolate mixture and bring to boil.  Pour over flour mixture and mix well. 

In a small bowl mix the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla together and add to chocolate flour mixture.

Pour into jelly roll pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. 

Frosting:

¾ cup butter
4 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ¼ cup powdered sugar

Melt butter in saucepan.  Add cocoa and salt, stir to combine.   Remove from heat and add milk and vanilla.  Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.  Frost cake while still warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment