Monday, March 4, 2013

Smashed Avocado and Chickpea Sandwich

I love this sandwich!  A perfectly ripe avocado is one of my favorite things.  I love cutting into one and twisting the two halves to reveal its beautiful green color.  Ooooh, I just love it!  Besides the color, I also love an avocado in all its different forms (sliced, smashed, made into guacamole or eaten straight from the skin (peel, whatever it is).  I also am quite fond of chickpeas.  I especially love them when they are made into hummus or used for Chana Masala, yum! This sandwich is full of flavors that I love, cilantro, lime juice, green onions and of course, a good sprinkle of salt.  This sandwich is awesome and despite the somewhat tedious process of taking the skins off the chickpeas, I will make this sandwich again and again.  (Next time, I will recruit my kidlets to remove the chickpea skins.  Hey, they may even think it's fun!)


Smashed Avocado and Chickpea Sandwich

1 15-ounce can chickpeas
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bread of choice
Tomato, sliced

Rinse and drain the chickpeas.  Remove the outer skins of the chickpeas and place in a medium sized bowl and smash chickpeas with a fork.  Add the avocado to the chickpeas and smash some more to combine.  Add cilantro, green onions, and lime juice and stir to combine.  Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Spread chickpea/avocado mixture on top to lightly toasted bread.  Top with sliced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.  Garnish with a sprinkle of green onions and cilantro.

This recipe comes from Two Peas and Their Pod

6 comments:

  1. yes. been doing lots of smashed avocado toast lately, and it only makes you want more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! This sounds like heaven! I love anything avacodo! Here's to the road ahead of saying fair-well to red meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this for lunch and it's soooooooo delicious! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I love eating something that tastes delicious and is healthy too!

      Delete
  4. The post was so awesome, Thanks for sharing. I am looking for the best Slim fit leather jackets, please let me know if anyone knows about it. Black Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete