Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Scotcheroos

We (I) needed (wanted) a treat for family night on Monday night, but it had to be something that didn't require an oven (this oven not working thing is killing me).  I grew up eating scotcheroos at family gatherings with my Dad's side of the family.  I'm pretty sure that these treats were originally made with Rice Krispies, but rewind to a few years back and my Aunt Karie swapped the Rice Krispies for Rice Chex.  Using Rice Krispies is now a thing of the past.  I think she is also the reason that I stir the chips into the scotcheroos and don't spread the melted chips on top.  I don't make these chocolatey, crunchy, peanuty, butterscotchy treats very often, but when I do, I'm reminded why I don't....I seriously can't stop eating them! This sweet treat is extremely addicting, so beware, you may just want to eat the entire pan (or maybe that's just me).



Scotcheroos

6 cups Rice Chex
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Pinch of salt

Grease a 13x9 inch pan, set aside.  Put cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.  Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium size saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until melted and smooth.  Pour over cereal and stir until well coated.  Add the butterscotch chips, chocolate chips and a pinch of kosher salt to the Chex mixture.  Fold the chips into the Chex mixture.  Press the mixture into the prepared pan.  Let cool (if you can wait).  Cut into squares.

1 comment: