Monday, February 25, 2013

No Bake S'mores Granola Bars

My oven is currently out of commission (so sad).  The heating element on the bottom of the oven started on fire while I was baking a cake.  Fire is scary and thankfully it went out quickly.  I've had the same oven for nearly 12 years and it has done its fair share of hard work.  The past few days, I've been patiently (I really wish it wouldn't take so long) for the part to come in and I'm pretty sure I will feel like it is Christmas morning when it is heating and baking again.  (Please let it be sooner than later!)  I made these granola bars over the weekend and they were super quick and easy and best of all, required no oven (hip hip hooray).  My kids loved them and I'm excited to try a few different variations (peanut butter, coconut, the options seem endless).


No Bake S'mores Granola Bars

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I like a heaping 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup quick oats
1 cup rice krispies
1/3 cup mini marshmallow (I cut mine in half)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I may had add a few more)

Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan with parchment, extending it up two sides, or foil. Spray the parchment with a nonstick cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, combine oats and rice krispies.  Set aside.

In a medium sized sauce pan, add the butter, brown sugar, honey and salt.  Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to bubble.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Pour over oat mixture and stir until well coated.  Next, stir in marshmallows.  

Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Press mixture down firmly.  Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top and gently press into the granola bars with your hands.  Allow granola bars to cool for about an hour (the fridge speeds this process up).  Cut directly down the center and then slice into 10 bars.  Store granola bars in an airtight container (I put mine in a Ziploc and keep them in the freezer).

*I'm not a huge marshmallow fan, but I think next time I would use a 1/2 cup of marshmallow because my little ones really liked them.

Recipe adapted from Alaska from Scratch

3 comments: