Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats

Salt and brown butter are two of my very favorite things, I love them (I really do)!  Now take the salt and brown butter and use them when making a batch of rice krispie treats and you will end up with an extra special, salty, brown buttery treat!  Thanks Steph for sending this recipe my way!


Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats

1/2 cup butter
1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
5 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Butter (or coat with non-stick cooking spray) an 8-inch cake pan with 2-inch sides.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat.  It will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty.  Stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom as you do.  Don't take your eyes off the pot, the period between the time the butter begins to take on color and the point where it burns is very small.

As soon as the butter takes on a nutty color, turn the heat off and stir in the marshmallows.  The residual heat from the melted butter should be enough to melt them, but if not, turn it back on low until the marshmallows are smooth.

Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the salt and cereal.  Quickly spread into prepared pan and press firmly and evenly into edges and corners.  Let cool, cut into desired sized squares.

*I usually double this recipe and use a 9x13-inch pan.

Adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip to double the recipe! I made them tonight to bring to work tomorrow. I hope I let the butter brown enough. Even if I didn't, how bad can they be!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete