Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Panini

I had this for lunch today and thought it was quite delicious!  It was originally going to be a grilled cheese, but I love a smashed sandwich so I went with the Panini.  I am waiting for my husband to get home so that I can make him the grilled cheese version and then decide which one I like better.  (Todd just got home and already ate lunch (a taco from Taco Bell), he missed out!  I guess I will just have to try the grilled cheese version tomorrow for lunch, sweet!)


Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Panini

8 slices of bread (I used Texas toast, but sourdough would be great)
12 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
1 green apple, thinly sliced
8 ounces white cheddar, shredded
3 tablespoons stone ground mustard
3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Heat Panini press.  In a small bowl mix together stone ground mustard and mayonnaise.  Set aside.  Generously spread mustard/mayo mixture on 4 slices of bread. Top with shredded Cheddar, 3 pieces of bacon, apple slices and additional Cheddar. Place the remaining bread on top and spread with butter. Place sandwich on Panini press and close. Cook until cheese is slightly melted and bread is browned.  Slice and eat.

*So I tried the grilled cheese (cooked on a griddle) version of this panini and I think it might beat out the panini by just a smidge. 

1 comment: