Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I've tried a lot of cinnamon roll recipes and this is the one I keep coming back too!  It's a special treat to eat a warm cinnamon roll right out of the oven that is dripping with melted frosting.  Yum!  P.S. Occasionally I will put a little pat of butter on top of my warm cinnamon roll, but don't tell anyone!


Cinnamon Rolls

Sweet Dough

2 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups scalded milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup butter
1 tablespoon salt
1 scant cup sugar
11 cups flour (about)

Melt butter in scalded milk.  Stir in salt and sugar.  Dissolve yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar.  Set aside for 5-10 minutes.  Work a little flour into the cooled milk mixture.  Add eggs.  Blend well.  Add yeast and work in rest of the flour.  Dough will pull away from sides when enough flour has been added.

Place in a greased bowl, grease top and allow to rise till double.  Punch down.

Filling

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix butter, sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.  Divide dough in half (it's easier to work with).  Spread half of the filling mixture on a 1/4 inch thick rectangle within 1/2 inch of each edge.  Roll as you would a jelly roll and pinch edges to seal.  Repeat with other half of dough.

Grease a heavy, large jelly roll or round pan (I like to use 9x13 pans).  Cut cinnamon rolls 1 to 1 1/2-inches thick.  Flatten slightly with hand.  Place about 1 1/2 inches apart.  Let rise until doubled.  Bake in a preheated 375 for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

Frosting

1 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup half and half
6 cups powdered sugar

Mix together melted butter, vanilla, maple syrup, salt, half and half and powdered sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth.  Frost cinnamon rolls while still warm.

*Before I put the cinnamon rolls in the oven to bake, I like to sprinkle the tops with additional cinnamon and sugar.
*I usually halve this recipe when I am just making them for my family.  I don't like to have too many leftovers because I like them best the day they are baked. 

Recipe adapted from Grandma's Recipe Box by Ann S. Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment