Thursday, March 17, 2016

Cocoa Crispy Crunch

After seeing a picture for cocoa crunch on Alexandra Cooks instagram account, it took only a few minutes before I had a pan in the oven.  I've made chocolate granola before and I really love it, but I love the addition of crispy rice in this recipe and also that it calls for no nuts.  I love nuts, but these two changes make it a bit lighter and easier (on the jaw) to eat (which may or may not be a good thing). ;)

I have two favorite ways to eat this chocolatey crunchy goodness and it depends on the time of day which way I choose.  If it's time for breakfast then I will scoop two rather large spoonful’s of yogurt into a bowl and top it with a great big handful of berries (sometimes sweetened with a little maple syrup depending on how much help they need in the sweetness department), and a handful (or two, or three) of cocoa crunch.  It kind of feels like I'm eating a treat for breakfast.

My second favorite way usually happens between 9-10 at night when I'm starting to feel a little hungry and probably should just go to bed.  The thing is...my need for a little something sweet at night always wins, always.  So I will get a mason jar and fill it with cocoa crunch and ice cold milk.  Next, I do a little chopping with my spoon to break up any big chunks.  The chopping also helps make the milk really cold because I usually add an ice cube or two to the jar.  I know this sounds weird and most people aren't on board with the ice in milk thing, but it makes the milk super cold, just the way I like it.  (Oh and just so you know, I've successfully managed to pass on the ice in milk thing on to everyone in my little family.)  Once the cocoa crunch is gone, I add a little more and a little more until the all the milk is gone and then I go to bed.



Cocoa Crispy Crunch

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups crispy brown rice
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1.5 ounces (42.5 grams) dark chocolate
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 275°F.  Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. 

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, rice cereal, coconut, cocoa, and salt and stir to combine.

Heat the coconut oil and dark chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat until chocolate has just melted.  (You could also do this step in the microwave using a microwave safe bowl.  This is what I do.)  Stir chocolate and coconut oil to blend and add maple syrup to mixture.  Pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour out cocoa crispy mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread in an even layer.  Cook for 35 minutes without stirring.  Remove from oven and let cool (once again no stirring).  Break into chunks and eat by the handful or break into small pieces and eat in a pint size mason jar with ice cold milk.

Recipe from Alexandra Cooks

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it’s quite inspiring I should admit.I like visiting your site since I always come across interesting articles like this one Thanksgiving Outfits

    ReplyDelete