Saturday, May 26, 2012

Yeasted Buckwheat Waffles

So the story begins last night when I decided that I wanted to make these waffles for our Saturday morning breakfast.  This recipe is a spin on my all-time favorite waffle recipe and I happened to have buckwheat flour in my freezer that was ready to be used.  Todd was watching The Big Break (a golf reality show) and so I got busy making my waffle batter.  Everything was going fine and dandy until I got the buckwheat flour out of my freezer and added it to the wet ingredients.  As I was mixing it up, it didn't look right or smell right.  Oh great, errrrrr!  I added vital wheat gluten not buckwheat flour, gross!  I was so mad!  I really hate wasted ingredients, but was so glad I realized it then and not in the morning when I was hungry and ready to eat waffles.  I'm pretty sure they would have been not so delicious tasting.  Round two of waffle batter making when smooth and this morning for breakfast my family ate crisp, light yeast waffles with buckwheat flour not wheat gluten (thank goodness)!

  

Yeasted Buckwheat Waffles
This recipe works best with a standard waffle maker (not Belgian)

1/2 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 cups whole milk, warmed
1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Pour the water into a large mixing bowl.  (The batter will rise to double its volume, so keep that in mind when you choose the bowl.)  Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and let stand for 5 minutes.

Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flours, and beat until well blended and smooth.  (Electric beaters work well.)  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it stand overnight at room temperature. 

Before cooking the waffles, preheat waffle maker.

Just before cooking the waffles, add the eggs and baking soda, and stir to mix well.  The batter will be very thin.  Pour the batter into hot waffle maker and cook until golden and crisp.  Serve with maple syrup.  Delicious!

Recipe from Orangette

2 comments:

  1. Your night-before preparations sound a little like something I'd do. I don't always read the package before I start mixing, either. Duh-h-h!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made these today and served them with turkey and gravy,,, still pushing leftovers. Family loved them. Will be making more this weekend to put in the freezer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete