Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I made a big pot of this soup right before I went to Hawaii to visit my sister Stephanie.  I knew it would provide a couple of meals that would be easy for my husband while I was away.  This soup is definitely a soup that I will be making many times in the future.  
  

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 box (4.3-ounces) Rice-o-Roni's Long Grain and Wild Rice Original
1 1/4 cup water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup cream
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine water, rice and seasoning packet in a baking dish.  Bake for 45 minutes or until rice is tender.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and sauté veggies until tender.  Add flour in small amounts to the vegetables to avoid clumps.  Cook vegetable flour mixture for a couple of minutes, stirring often.

To the pot, slowly add the chicken broth and bouillon cube, stir to combine.  Add cream, chicken, and rice and mix until everything is incorporated.  Season with salt and pepper.  Eat and enjoy!

Adapted slightly from jackattack06 blog

No comments:

Post a Comment