Sunday, June 26, 2011

Buttermilk Ice Cream

Oh my, oh my, this is delicious ice cream, definitely one of my favorites.  This past week, my sister Stephanie was visiting from Hawaii.  I had her come for lunch and this bowl of cold, creamy, tangy deliciousness was our dessert, we were both in love. 

  

Buttermilk Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
6-12 large egg yolks (I used 8)
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla or half a vanilla bean, scraped and simmered with the cream
Pinch of salt

In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the heavy cream and one cup of sugar and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.

Remove the cream mixture from heat and drizzle a small amount into the yolks, slowly, and whisking constantly to keep the eggs from curdling.  Do this a few more times to warm up the yolks before pouring the yolk mixture back into the cream, whisking constantly.

Cook over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.  Strain mixture and whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla, and salt.  Cool completely and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.

I served this cold treat with strawberries and an oatmeal brown sugar crumble.

Adapted from smitten kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment