Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing

I love when I don't know what I'm going to make for dinner and I don't want to go to the store, but somehow (once in a blue moon) a meal magically comes together from what I have floating around in my fridge and ends up being delicious.  This was the case the other night and these grilled cabbage wedges may have been the highlight of the meal (my 5 year old may beg to differ).


Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fish sauce
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 head of cabbage (I used half of head of green and half a head of purple)
Canola oil

Preheat grill.

In the bowl of a food processor or blender combine the lime juice, olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne and sugar and pulse or blend until the sauce is pale orange color in color.  Set aside.

Remove the loosest, toughest outer leaves from the cabbage; cut into 8 evenly sized wedges.  Do not remove the stalk or inner core.  Lightly brush the wedges with canola oil.

Place the wedges on the grill and cover.  Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the edges of each layer are blackened and the cabbage is beginning to soften.  Flip each wedge over, cover the grill, and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side.  Remove the cabbage when it is beginning to wilt, but is still firm in the middle.  If necessary, turn the heat down or move the wedges to a cooler part of the grill so they don't burn.  Don't be afraid of the blackened edges; you want a lot of grill and char marks on the cabbage.
Take the cabbage off the grill and place on a serving plate.  Pour the dressing over the top of the cabbage and serve immediately with wedges of lime.

Recipe from The Kitchn

11 comments:

  1. We’ve featured your recipe in our Mother’s Day Meal Ideas article! View your feature here:
    http://stayin4dinner.blogspot.com/2013/05/3-mothers-day-meal-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for featuring the grilled cabbage recipe in your Mother's Day Meal Ideas article. I really loved this recipe and will making it many more times this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Breanna,

    Sophia from Greatist.com, here. I'm writing because I'm interested in including this recipe in an upcoming recipe roundup series. We would not be publishing the recipe itself, but would love to feature one of the photos along with the title of the recipe and a link (so our readers would follow through to your blog to get the actual recipe). Just wanted to touch base with you before taking the photo to use! Would this usage be okay?

    Thanks for your time, and please contact me at sophia@greatist.com if you have any questions!

    Best,
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made it tonight! We LOVED it!
    Thanks!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the fish sauce needed? I have never used it before and am worried to since my bf is highly allergic to shellfish. Is there a sub we could use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be perfectly fine without the fish sauce. The fish sauce just adds another element of salt. Just taste your dressing and adjust seasonings is needed. Hope that helps!!

      Delete
  6. Looks STUNNING!!!
    I will be making this, AWESOME sounding recipe!
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a grill - do you think I could pull this off under a broiler? Also want to try w radiccio!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this on my Big Green Egg and it was delicious! I would suggest to others using the BGE to make sure that the grill is maintained at least at 425°F before you put the cabbage on, or 450°F if you like. Thanks for the wonderful recipe, Breanna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this necessarily need to be cooked on a grill? How do you think this would turn out cooked in an oven?

    ReplyDelete
  10. my only critique -- the sauce doesn't become pale orange because you say to blend the cilantro into the sauce. in your photo, you must've stirred in the cilantro after blending. my sauce came out green, but still delicious! we had a cabbage from our farm share program and don't usually love it. this recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete