Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Grammy's Chocolate Cookies

These cookies remind me of the Christmas season and are my favorite holiday cookie.  I love this chocolate cookie enough to make all year long, but for some reason I always wait until after Thanksgiving to start making them.  I like to make the dough and keep it in my fridge, this way it's ready to bake whenever I need a chocolate treat.  Throughout the month of December my little family and I enjoy many nights filled with warm chocolate cookies and hot chocolate to keep us nice and toasty while it is freezing cold outside.  Beware, these cookies are very easy to eat and I have been known to eat more then I should on many occasions!


Grammy’s Chocolate Cookies

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for dipping
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add eggs and vanilla, and beat to combine.  Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour and cocoa mixture; beat to combine.  Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch-diameter balls.  Roll each ball in sugar.  Place on prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.  Bake until set, 10-12 minutes.

*I always make my balls of dough smaller then 1 1/2-inch-diameter.

Recipe from Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies Magazine

1 comment:

  1. Hooray you're back! That photo is stunning....with the hot chocolate in background...I love it! I'm making these cookies today!

    ReplyDelete